Pages - Menu

Sunday, March 16, 2014

10...okay, 12...Life Experiences that Prepped me for Life in NZ

NOTE: this blog post is for FUN! There are some extremes in the post, and we're pretty settled in. We were just laughing about all the funny things that helped us transition! Nothing here is intended to be negative.

1. Harry Potter simple because JK Rowling uses the phrase "Year 1, Year 2" in the book series. At least I sort-of know what my children's teachers are talking about--and that's a rough sort-of

2. Hanging out clothes while living at my in-laws house last summer as we waited for our visas. A large portion of any family's household chores is doing laundry. Ours includes hanging the laundry outside, even if its raining, in hopes the sun will come out and dry them at some point. Miss having a dryer....and cheaper electricity.


3. Learning how to cook cakes, pastries, and bread from scratch as a teenager. No wonder I've gained 10 pounds ;)
Pumpkin pancakes I made with a pecan praline syrup!  
Thank you, Janet! For sending my some canned pumpkin!

4. Watching Johnny English; who knew my landlord would look like Rowan Atkinson

5. Teaching Intercultural Communication; two words: CULTURE SHOCK
Thank you, http://nancynearphiladelphia.blogspot.co.nz/2009_01_01_archive.html

6. Living in Logan, UT or Rexberg, ID where the sun never shines during the winter


7. Living in Tucson, AZ during the monsoon season. Sunny skies then pouring rain.


8. Studying Development Politics and sustainable economies...I am fascinated with the New Zealand economy and their economic policies! Why, why are locals paying $6 (USD) for a gallon-ish of milk when they produce it locally?


9. Watching the first season of Downtown Abbey...need I say more?


10. Having goldfish. We have a coy pond. The neighborhood cats LOVE it, and we killed 10 of them!!


11. Getting chiggers last June when we were in Nebraska because it made "getting" fleas psychologically less shocking

12. Camping...because living in NZ feels like I'm high-end camping ALL. THE. TIME. No central air, one sink to wash dishes, hanging out clothes, showers only, and an oven that randomly and consistently starts on fire.


6 comments:

  1. I have to laugh that you don't remember hanging clothes out on the clothesline when you were younger...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember. Vividly. I just didn't really worry about at the time.

      Delete
  2. So one could ask.... what am I being prepped for now? says Aunt gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha aw,is it really that different?!Makes me want to go to the States now. (And if you want feel free to come use our dryer anytime and have a big long soak in the bath while your at it!seriously!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am rolling on the floor laughing. These are really funny, even if they are not. The funniest one to me was Culture Shock! I know what you mean! You are so great. Love it. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! My Husband keeps talking about moving to New Zealand. I'm going to make him read this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and reading!