Pages - Menu

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Beauty Grows out of Mud

I wish I could adequately describe where this photo was taken. We were in the middle of Rotorua, New Zealand. Rotorua reminds me of Yellowstone (with all the sulfur attractions) meets Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The locals call it Rota-Vegas because it's a tourist trap. 

As we explored the town, I noticed a pond in between two hotel buildings. The pond appeared to be more of a nuisance than a landscape feature of either the hotels or the other local tourist destination. It was in these ponds that I noticed these gorgeous pink lotus flowers were growing. I couldn't resist a photo. 

The lotus flower is a symbol of endurance, purity, and rebirth. The lotus flower in this photo was growing in an ugly and undesirable conditions, yet growing. It had "enough" and bloomed. 

I feel I am often in mud, but learning to bloom anyway. This metaphor perfectly describes our return to the United States. 
Flying out of Auckland.

I woke up one morning at the end of May and intuitively 'knew' it was time to come home. While I had some logical suspicions why this would be the best choice, I did not fully understand all the reasons. Now, five months later, I am 'clearly understanding the intuitive push to get back to the United States. 

Now we are 'blooming' in Draper, Utah. 

My brother, Matt, and his wife, Carolynn, picked us in Las Vegas after crappy layovers and a long flight. Poor Luke didn't sleep on the entire 13 hour flight from Auckland to Los Angeles. He finally zonked out when we landed in L.A. He was so disappointed to find out he had to move. That said, he got to watch A LOT of movies. From L.A. we flew to Las Vegas after a considerable layover. 

It was awesome to see family and be back in the desert!

Within two weeks, Ryan had his job back in Draper. The job he "lost" when we went to New Zealand, even though they were anticipating keeping him on. 

While Ryan started his new job, we stayed in Cedar City and . . .

Did a bike race! 




The kids opened a candy stand on the street (and make a shocking amount of money). 


Then we celebrated Suzanne's 9th Birthday! with some New Zealand lollies!


We made crafts. 


Then we moved to Draper, UT. 

Our move was pretty awkward and nice. We sold most everything before we went to New Zealand. We were planning on staying there 3 years or longer. We had no idea we would be back in a year. So, it felt like we were starting all over again. I would spend hours smart shopping to collect the things we needed. I got this at Ikea but didn't have a way to get it home. A kind man gave me the strap and helped me get it in the car! I'm so GRATEFUL for good and kind people!


Then, we started school. I am still working on my PhD--from a distance! (Still getting my scholarship! I'M SO BLESSED!) My kids started at the local public schools and are really enjoying it! They are each doing really well! Again, WE FEEL SO BLESSED as parents to have such awesome kids!

Then we celebrated Eric's 7th birthday . . . at Chuck E. Cheese! Clearly we were getting a little more settled down than we were for Suzanne's birthday. That's okay though, she had 3 birthday parties the year before!



Luke joined 11 year-old scouts and did his first 5 mile hike (in the US; nothing compared to the hikes for school camp in New Zealand!)


It snowed a couple of times...but not as much as it usually does. Somehow Eric and Suzanne manage to build snowmen with the smallest amounts of snow. 



We went to Cedar City for Thanksgiving and had a great time with our family. It was fun to celebrate a holiday with family again. We even got to build gingerbread houses with Grandma and Grandpa Reynolds. My kids were begging to have this experience again.For more pictures, click here


After Thanksgiving, I had the crazy experience of being filmed for a Mormon Message with 18 other people. I'm not sure if my filming will be used, but it was a refining experience!
Waiting in hair and make-up

Luke is in band this year playing percussion, and Suzanne joined choir. They both enjoy performing in the respective chosen arts. To see more photos from the concerts, click here

The kids are SUPER excited for Christmas--American style! 





Mostly, Ryan and I are excited for a new year!

Merry Christmas!


4 comments:

  1. Wow perfect ending to a perfect Christmas letter. We are so happy for all of the blessings in your life. We see many, and we see the joy. Love to you and kids and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VA Va vooom! You look so beautiful! What an adventurous year! We love you and are so happy our paths crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for new blog posts! We're glad you are close by again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing. Keep us posted about the Mormon Message. That is so cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and reading!