Pages - Menu

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Living in an old, uninsulated house

So, we are spoiled Americans. My favorite quote right now is: "There's no such thing as bad weather, there is only such thing as bad clothing."

So far, winter in Hamilton, NZ has been pretty mild. It does get cold enough to frost the grass. The house we live in is not insulated....in anyway. Well, it has bricks. Are bricks insulation? I guess they are compared to a cardboard box. The silver-lining: wer're not homeless, and we have electric blankets.
Eric sleeping in gloves and a hat. 


Suzanne slept in her winter coat. 
Last month, we used energy like we would if we were in the United States. This was a bad, bad idea. I just received the electric bill. For 30 days, it was over $400.  (Cue the head nods from my Kiwi friends who highly suggested other behaviors! I have learned my lesson!!) Dumb that I actually gave my children baths (can't really get Suzanne to shower. She's so particular!!) and that I used a dryer--regularly--in an attempt to save myself from having to hang out clothes.  And, we ran space heaters to keep warm, because we appreciate a house that is somewhere around 68 degrees.  Whew! I'm sure we'll look back on this some day and think, "Wow!" Right now I am thinking, "Wow!" Thank heaven Ryan had picked up a few extra hours at the high schools translating Spanish for more Columbian refugee students!


3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! And it's so hard getting out of bed in the morning. There is so much I will miss about New Zealand, but the lack of central heat is not one of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah welcome to new Zealand winters!our girls have three duvets on their beds,wear flannel pj's,a jumper and a hat.And that's with a heater in their room :s there's a reason we have blankets piled up on the couch,and not just cos Steve's been bad haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so spoiled over here! It's the little things I just take for granted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and reading!