Pages - Menu

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Sending Flowers down the Waikato for Grandma Culler


Maybe this picture is a little strange, but I was grateful for the screen capture. I used to hate it when my mom would say, "Let's take a picture of you with Grandma and your kids." I would think, "Haven't we done this a million times. Why do we need to do it again?" I guess, in my arrogant, naivete, I assumed one would be enough. I could not resist another photo when my mom was showing me my grandma's body using FaceTime. I was desperate for help and asked Ryan if he could take a photo, not realizing it was a screen shot. I'm grateful for his willingness to do a half-faced photo allowing me to have one more picture. 

New Zealand Autumn at the river.

 As a child, I remember camping with my grandma in Southern Colorado. We went on several adventures together and spent times outdoors consistently. I felt one of the best things I could do to honor her life would be to send flowers down the Waikato River for her. It is a deep, beautiful river.


I chose this bouquet of flowers because the pink flower tucked beneath the other larger lilies caught my eye. It reminded me of my grandma, the beautiful unsung hero mixed among the crowd. Flowers were important to my grandma during funerals. She always made sure a bouquet of flowers was sent to a funeral to represent the Warren and Helen Culler family.


In this photo, Suzanne and I are getting ready to cut the tops of the flowers to throw into the river.




My simple celebration of my grandma's life. 










The flowers lined the riverbank like stars, gently adding beauty to a glorious river bank.

I love you, Grandma!

2 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful tribute to your Grandma. I am sure she appreciates and loves you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet. I feel grateful for you that you knew your grandma so well and grateful for her that she knew you so well. Grandmas are my favorite. Sorry for your loss. Your tribute to her is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and reading!