Pages - Menu

Saturday, September 21, 2013

28 Liston Crescent





The last two weeks have been a whirlwind. Two weeks ago, we moved into our rental. It’s an older home (early 1960s) near the University and Knighton Normal School. The house is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath with the traditional coy pond, lemon tree and orange tree. It was furnished with exactly the number of beds we needed, appliances (uncommon in New Zealand), and other household items.  The house was tidy, but hadn’t been deeply cleaned in over a year. Once we moved in, we were horrified to find 2 ½ inch cockroaches in the kitchen. We also quickly learned that homes are poorly insulated and commonly have single pane windows. (This house still has windows in wood frames.) It was also shocking to learn how cold it actually gets with these conditions. My romanticism with being in a new country was over. The next morning, we went to church. The ward members were so kind and offered help. Sister Meleane said to me, “Can we come help you clean up?” I started bawling. Great, I thought, it’s nice to meet you too.  The next afternoon we had 9 adults show up with equally as many kids. The kids played outside in the nippy weather (remember, its early spring here) while the adults cleaned. . .and cleaned. . .and cleaned. They were truly saints in action and word. It was a beautiful experience for us and them! Luckily, we haven’t seen any roaches since!!

(These AMAZING brothers and sisters even made our beds. 
We found this after the 2 1/2 hours of cleaning.)

A couple days ago, we woke up and it felt like we were camping. The air in our bedroom was pretty cold. I think that is the best  metaphor for this house, it’s like a camping trip. The older kiwi homes only have one sink in the kitchen. So, I had to buy a plastic container to rinse the dishes.
I’m so grateful for some of the things I brought like the children’s IKEA dinnerware (cups, plates bowls) and IKEA reusable bags (we’ve used them for EVERYTHING).

Before we came to New Zealand, we were staying at Ryan’s parents’ house. It was really hard on me and really good for me. (My pride. . .) Once we  got to New Zealand, I realized what a tender mercy it had been—for a multitude of reasons. For example, electricity is extremely expensive here, so no one uses a dryer. Most to all clothes are hung out to dry. Our arrangement in Riverton was exactly the same. There was no dryer for the people who lived upstairs. So, we had to hang all our clothes out to dry. One of the blessings of living in Dean and Angeli’s house in Riverton is that we had already gone through the frustration of not having a dryer. So, here, we wait for the rains to clear and then get as much laundry done as we possibly can. We do have a dryer, but we rarely use it because of cost. AND, it’s so humid here that the dryer heats up the wet air making things uncomfortable. . .except for when I am freezing. Then I like running the dryer because I am desperate for HOT anything. . .including hot air.

5 comments:

  1. How awesome is that. You skipped winter this year. You had spring, summer, now spring again, then summer again. That's the way to do it! (I say this as we're heading into a Logan winter!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking house! I was thinking the same thing about the dryer situation and the ants! Just a small preparation of what came!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful for your sweet ward members who came and helped you! Your home is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those keys! The house looks so cute, I would love to see more pictures of the inside :) Do you remember Sherry Wheeler, she married a guy from New Zealand, but I dont know where he is from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading your blog for the past hour after seeing my childhood friend Ngaire reference you on Facebook! I grew up in Templeview but have lived in the States for 14 years now. 7 in Salt Lake and 7 here in NH! If you need help translating things ie American /Kiwi foods etc just ask me! I was just back in NZ this August and was happy to see a tin of familiar US foods so they are available I promise lol! Having said that, you will eventually learn to cook like a Kiwi and you will wonder why you ever liked that American rubbish! Ok so I do like my Better Crocker cake mixes I'll admit that :-P. So please, feel free to email me with any questions...food. ..slang...culture...been there done that in reverse over here! I wonder if you're in the same ward as my sister. ..Karen Wadley? I know she lives over your side just not sure which ward/stake etc. Anyway, I hope to hear from you! By the way I still can't see a Ready Rooter truck here and not have a chuckle!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and reading!