Pages - Menu

Friday, April 4, 2014

Our lives passed as if it was a dream before our eyes.

The last two weeks have flown by. Normally, I write a weekly update for various family and friends to keep them updated on what we are doing. This week, I decided to do a blog post of our daily adventures for the last week.

Last Friday, March 28, Eric and Suzanne participated in a 'Parade of Nations.' We didn't have much in the ways of 'traditional dress,' but we had some red, white and blue...and a flag. We counted about 39 different nations represented at our children's elementary (primary) school. It was a wonderful experience and really fulfilled the reason we wanted our children to have the opportunity to attend school in New Zealand. Now, how to overcome the to bullying Suzanne is receiving at school? While we love the diversity, we also see the problems it can cause. Today she was "choked" at recess but is afraid to tell the teachers. Time for a MAJOR mom intervention.




That evening, Suzanne played in her last cricket game. She's loved it. 




The next day, Saturday, Luke spoke at a baptism. It was a bilingual service in Tongan and English. 


That evening, we picked up a beautiful woman and her children to take them to the "Night Glow" for the Balloons over Waikato festival. They are recent refugees to New Zealand. They came from Ecuador, but are original from Columbia.Ryan's been working as a Spanish translator for the Ministry of Education and for the LDS missionaries. It's been wonderful to watch him do work so fulling. He's truly blessing the lives of others.




Eric and Luke playing 'air guitar' to the music playing with the fireworks!


On Sunday, I brought Eric home from church early because he'd been sick. We bought himself a new game--snakes and ladders (instead of chutes and ladders). We had fun playing together.

I had to laugh when I saw Suzanne writing the date in her journal. For her, life in New Zealand is like living in two different worlds.

April fools came next at our house. We had a great time together thinking of funny practical jokes.  I had an American student in one of my classes played a lame joke on me too. This is the joke Luke played on Ryan. He taped a piece of paper on the bottom of Ryan's smart mouse so it wouldn't work. When he looked at the bottom of the mouse to problem solve the issue he found this note: 
Luke found the idea off the internet. How cleaver!

That evening, Ryan took the kids to an activity while Eric and I stayed home.We short-sheeted their beds and put cups of water on the doors. Eric was so excited for them to come home! I was busy cleaning and forgot the cups of water where on the door. I quickly remembered when water drenched me as I opened the door. Eric laughed and laughed. He said, "I saw your face!" Eric and I re-rigged the door. We got Suzanne with the cup of water and Luke with the short-sheeted bed!

The rest of our week past quickly and intensely. Teaching and researching is an overwhelming load when I try to be as available as I can as a mother and wife. This is complicated by the constant translation work Ryan is doing for many organizations--but blessing the lives of the refugees who are struggling to negotiate their new homes. I acknowledge this is the time crunch we all feel. Among other things, we found out today our renters will not be renewing their contract which left us at an unexpected crossroad.

Today, is Luke's birthday. He's ELEVEN! Dean and Angeli sent him a birthday card and Filipino money. He was so excited to get $1000! :) Too bad NONE of banks in NZ will convert the money into NZ dollars. Ryan went with him to exchange the money and was told the New Zealand banking system won't deal with Filipino pesos. They'll have to use a commercial money exchange business. Oh, well! It's a great souvenir and Luke can say he has a $1000 in his pocket. :)

Happy Birthday, Luke!
 

We had a small birthday party with "family;" which includes us and the interns here from BYU. Our kids love having them around, and we do too. They've been a HUGE blessing to us. We also fed the Elders again. Luke picked the menu...pizza and 'American' brownies with ice cream. (Not really brownies, more like a chocolate fudge cake, but they are delicious!)



After we ate, Luke put together some new legos! (Thank you to his BYU friends and Grandma/Grandpa Reynolds!) And ended with Luke's movie choice, Lord of the Rings.

3 comments:

  1. So I'm not getting the April fools picture. I must be slow. Also, we live on a reservation where there is a lot of brewing animosity between where we live and the nearest white town where we go to church. It's fine for us for the most part, but I definitely see some of that prejudice against my kids by their schoolmates, and my husband and some of the parents. Good luck helping your daughter with the bullying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tearese, thanks for asking for the clarification on the April fool's picture. Luke pasted a piece of tape on the bottom of my husband, Ryan's, mouse so it wouldn't work. When he lifted it up to figure out the problem he saw the note from Luke. Pretty funny. I added it into the blog.

      Yes, I completely identify with what you are saying about you kids. Thanks for sharing that with me.

      Delete
  2. Cool pictures and what a week!. I hope Suzie knows no matter how mean someone is to her she is a special precious girl. No Bullying! Funny April Fools ideas! And I'm kind of sad about the $1000 pesos. Maybe at the airport there will be an exchange if you go near one. It's about $25 USD. Glad he got it though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and reading!